I was furious. Not only had he broken it, he hadn't told me about it. After the inevitable . . . difficulties that followed, I assessed the damage. The computer itself was all right. Only the screen was cracked.
I got on-line and surfed around until I uncovered the part number for a new one and ordered it. It arrived today. I sat Aran down with me and made him help me tear the computer apart. First we had to pry the screw covers off with an Exacto knife, unscrew them, and carefully unsnap the plastic cover. Then there were more screws, many teeny tiny ones, to unscrew. We carefully extracted the screen, undid the tape holding the connector to the back, and spent considerable time trying to connect the new screen. Finally got it, set the new screen into place, tested it to make sure it worked (it did) and screwed it back together. At which point, the new screen refused to work. So we had to tear it all apart again to find the problem. The connector had come loose. We fixed it and put everything back together again. This time it worked.
It was delicate, frustrating work, and since Aran was forced to go through it, I'm hoping he'll take extra care with his computer.